Attorneys at Gordon Arata Montgomery Barnett counsel healthcare companies, physician practice groups, and individual doctors in transactions and litigation. One of our attorneys served for several years as General Counsel for a rapid-growth physician practice group. His experience enhances our ability to deliver practical advice and solutions. Another of our attorneys served for more than 15 years as disciplinary counsel for the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners, providing the Board with general counsel and advice, and conducting and supervising state regulatory and disciplinary investigations and proceedings involving various health care professions and professionals. Still another member of the firm has served on the New Orleans Children’s Hospital board for more than 30 years, during which time Louisiana Children’s Medical Center was formed and the LCMC network expanded to include six hospitals.
If your challenge applies to the business, regulatory, or growth side of your practice, we are here to help.
Our work includes:
- Orchestrating mergers of practice groups
- Enforcing and defending restrictive covenants among practice groups and departing physicians
- Preparing vendor contracts
- Advising on real estate acquisitions for healthcare facilities
- Representing practice groups in their banking relationships and credit agreements
- Advising clinic and laboratory groups on their corporate structure and compensation in light of federal regulatory concerns, including under the Anti-Kickback Statute and EKRA
- Negotiating prompt pay claims and collection matters
- Counseling on employment agreements
- Advising on state and local tax obligations and the federal income tax consequences of various transactions unique to the industry and non-profit entities
- Advising licensed professionals in sensitive regulatory, investigative, licensure, and disciplinary matters
Recent matters for healthcare clients have involved:
- Providing full corporate legal services required by one of the nation’s largest privately held developers of free-standing emergency departments. From real estate conveyancing to investor relations, we have been a fundamental part of their growth.
- Winning a seven-figure verdict following a jury trial for a client against an acute care hospital in a contract dispute involving complex discovery issues and Stark and Anti-Kickback defenses raised by the hospital.
- Representing one of the largest manufacturers of prescription opioid medications in dozens of lawsuits filed against it in state and federal court
- Representing individual physicians in their investments in healthcare businesses, in real estate acquisitions—for personal use or as investments—and in the formation of investment entities.
- Advising a start-up treatment clinic on its corporate formation and structure, as well as the compensation of its executives and sales team, under AKS, EKRA, and other regulations.
- Advising a Houston-based venture capital fund and regularly structuring their investments in small and middle-market healthcare businesses.
We enjoy helping healthcare businesses grow, and we like seeing the healthcare business climate become more innovative. We look forward to applying our expertise to your specific business and legal issues.